Capel Car Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

why has the humble mini got so fast?

5 posters

Go down

why has the humble mini got so fast? Empty why has the humble mini got so fast?

Post  paul f Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:01 pm

Who can let let the secret out of the bag . These cars where never meant to be so fast 8 second laps its crazy that is TC time I feel that it should be
slowed down asap before its to late

How do you feel about this

I am just about hanging in the A final but am seriously considering throwing the brushless out and joining the f2 guys at least there is no additional boosting to contend with a much fairer and closer racing to be had

paul f

Back to top Go down

why has the humble mini got so fast? Empty Re: why has the humble mini got so fast?

Post  grimidol Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:26 am

additional boosting ??? the system dont have any extra to give lol.
I think people read in to much to this, the Hobbywing system we use cannt run any other software then it does. Do you think i will b eable to make a software system better then they can ? nope.
They are even, it is luck like with the silver cans if you get a little bit faster motor or not.
We run 2 claases to give morep eople the chance to win there class and race evenly with others.
If you read up on silver can motors there are ways to make them faster but they last a short time and i dont want to have to go down the road of buying new motors all th e time and dipping them in water blah blah blah.....
I see most of the speed with the hobywing is given if you get grip out of the corner, it makes a big difference and not the speed of the motor.

grimidol

Back to top Go down

why has the humble mini got so fast? Empty RE: Why has the humble mini got so fast?

Post  xrayt2009 Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:43 am

I have to agree with Darren, I think its more down to drive out of the corners.
Andy went past me off the bend onto the straight last night due to better traction, by the end of the straight my car was as fast. we make time up by the way we drive,
I have always driven hard to a hairpin and braked and accelerated, this is not ideal for a front wheel drive mini.
if you watch some drivers they are very smooth which suits the mini.
At the end of the day we had 4 drivers on 32 laps and 2 on 31 laps in the "A" final and I for one
are really enjoying the racing.

Paul,I understand your comments about hanging on in the A final but I think your not going backwards due to faster minis its down to the quality of the drivers behind you, the likes of Shaun and Les are making big inroads and will be making A finals soon, and this goes for all other drivers last night,

really good to watch!!!!!!!!!

Mark

xrayt2009

Back to top Go down

why has the humble mini got so fast? Empty Re: why has the humble mini got so fast?

Post  crazybrit123 Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:08 am

Nicely said mark.
It's ALL down to traction and the amount the front wheels don't spin up.
I'm constantly trying to stop the front wheels spinning up.
But, as mark has said it's not something you can buy. It's down to driving skill.
This is still an improvement I try to work on every time I drive.
And as mark has said, its making the racing great fun to drive and I think to watch.
You just gotta love mini racing at Capel.
crazybrit123
crazybrit123

Back to top Go down

Post  Airfixer Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:02 am

Paul - I think cornering speed is probably the biggest advantage some have over others and therefore when you've nailed a good set up with your car your times/laps should improve. I think Tims idea of publishing setups is a great idea and should enable drivers to get their car to optimum set up quicker.

Having said all that F2 is great fun, close racing and slower, therefore I don't think set up is as critical as I think it is in F1 so maybe a move into F2 would be a good move for you.

You would be more than welcome to join us F2 boys!

Airfixer

Back to top Go down

Post  paul f Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:26 am

Mini racing was always meant to be a standard stock level of racing the only thing standard about these mini's is the chassis and most of them have been cut to accept higher c rated lipo's. Out the box racing everything . When you look at most mini clubs this is the case.

120 quid New rtr double that and more to get a standard car to the spec of 90% of the f1 mini's

It was the cheap form of racing that has attracted so many new members and brought caple TC car club back to life

Think about it

paul f

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down