Capel Car Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mini advice

5 posters

Go down

Mini advice Empty Mini advice

Post  crimpshrine Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:54 pm

Hi. I am just starting in RC and would like to have a go stock minis. Just looking for some newbie advice, what extras would I need to join you guys and what sort of batteries would you suggest? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

crimpshrine

Back to top Go down

Mini advice Empty Re: Mini advice

Post  grimidol Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:40 pm

Hi my son uses the ones pits bits sell for 18pound they are lipos and work well all you needs for minister tbh . other then that i would say oil shocks 3 racing ones you needs can get of e bay new for 20 pound als o. also tires sweep 2and 30 on the front. just come down and we will chat and help out.

grimidol

Back to top Go down

Post  crimpshrine Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:00 am

Many thanks for the response. Will keep an eye out for other comments, the track is local to me so will pop over one evening soon.

crimpshrine

Back to top Go down

Post  crimpshrine Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:07 am

Sorry, forgot to ask how many battery packs would you suggest. Would 2 be enough to start with?

crimpshrine

Back to top Go down

Mini advice Empty mini///////////////

Post  SENNA Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:34 am

crimpshrine wrote:Sorry, forgot to ask how many battery packs would you suggest. Would 2 be enough to start with?

Yep 2 packs will be fine.

See Darren when you come over and he will tell you all you need to know with the mini
and go from there.

All the Best.
SENNA
SENNA
Admin

https://capelrc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Airfixer Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:33 am

I usually find theres enough time to recharge a Lipo between races so if you're on a budget - get one battery and see how it goes. You'll need to make sure your Charger will charge Lipo batteries tho. Pitbitz seem cheapest for batteries, Andy usually has sweep tyres for sale trackside at Capel. I think Cleveland models on eBay/ internet are cheapest atm for 3racing shocks. Other than that - kit works fine!

Steve

Airfixer

Back to top Go down

Post  crimpshrine Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:13 am

Thanks everyone. The only thing I have not tracked down are the tyres mentioned. There are some sweep ones but not the numbers mentioned above?

Also is the speed controller that comes with the kit ok or should I pop a new one in?

Thanks again all... nearly have my list to order now!

crimpshrine

Back to top Go down

Post  enb1 Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:02 am

The Tamiya M05 or M03 are the cars to have front wheel drive making them easy to drive the motor and speedo that comes with the kit will be fine. The kit tyres will be ok to start with before up grading to the Sweep tyres. The only up grade i would get is the bearing sets as it makes the car run a more freely and are easy to fit when building the kit. Body shell is up to you the medium wheelbase are popular.

One lipo will be ok as you'll have time to recharge between rounds just make sure you have got a lipo charger and its on the right settings.

The best bet is to come over and have a look and see what we are running and doing before you spend your money. We are racing every Friday doors are open from 7pm racing starts about 8pm finished and packed away by 10.30pm.

enb1

Back to top Go down

Post  Airfixer Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:13 am

Regarding tyres - if you ask 3 people what tyres to use you'll probably get 3 different answers! Its down to what you prefer. Sweep 25 or sweep 33 or a combination (33 front - 25 rear) seem to work well at Capel. 25s are softer and more grippy than 33s. 25 or 33 all round is probably a good starting point. Andy's trackside shop usually has sweep tyres - 20 quid for a set (4)

I would definately recommend getting ballrace bearings instead of the plastic kit ones.

The standard kit Speedo will work fine.

Steve D

Airfixer

Back to top Go down

Post  crimpshrine Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:50 am

Thanks for all of your help. Hope to see you all soon.

crimpshrine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down